Our long term goal is to build and launch the UK’s first dedicated leisure centre for children and young people with disabilities and their families, but we know the need is here, now, and holidays can be particularly tricky.
We ran a 4 week Pop Up Gympanzees centre in the summer holidays, 2018, which was a resounding success so will be running Pop Up’s every Easter and Summer until the Gympanzees Centre is built.
Keep an eye on this website, our social media and sig up to our newsletter to keep up to date with booking for the next pop up.
One parent said ‘there is a difference between children being tolerated and celebrated. Here our children are definitely celebrated’
The Pop Up, Summer 2018
We held our first Pop Up Gympanzees Centre at Emerson’s Green Primary School for 4 weeks. We set up 6 play areas; soft play, sensory room, indoor playground, Gym, Trampolines and Music room with a café serving tea and cake.
Some of our highlights:
- We had over 1100 booking for children and young people with any disabilities, and their siblings over the 4 weeks.
- 98% of those attending didn’t know of anywhere that compared to the Gympanzees Pop Up
- 99% of disabled children, their siblings and their parents enjoyed coming to
- 93% of parents felt they were able to talk to other families – helping to take families out of isolation
- Families travelled from as far as Barnstaple, Reading and Worcester with one family making a holiday of it and staying in a hotel.
- All 22 reviews on Facebook and Google were 5 stars
- BBC Radio Bristol’s video of the Pop Up on Facebook has been viewed over 179,000 times worldwide!
With many amazing wow moments including:
- A three year old child enjoyed had his first ever laugh on the trampolines.
- One child took 5 steps in her frame for the first time after coming to the Pop Up.
- A young man was able to concentrate in a lesson for 50 minutes when his previous
record was 15 minutes after coming to the Pop Up.
- A little girl slept through the night for the first time after the Pop Up.
- A young man joined a gym after coming to the Pop Up and gaining the confidence that he could do it.
And much, much more!